Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Thank God I'm an Atheist

A day off from one job affords me the opportunity to watch the morning new shows while chuckling with my children. At six, four and 8 months its hard for them to see the humor in Meredith Vieira interviewing Tom DeLay. Imagine a minor league pitcher having to face Albert Pujols. Vieira could not exactly match up. And I can't stand Tom DeLay. I think he's symptomatic of many things that ail American politics. But that's not the point of today's sermon. I just thought it was funny to watch.
No, the point of today's sermon, as it is my first official blog, is to plant my flag. Like most of you, I read blogs which I find interesting and then go to the blogger's archive, to see if there is any more interesting thought. I am usually quite disappointed. So this blog is not actually here for anyone but myself, to get my thoughts in some official(read "officious") format, so that years from now, I can see just how right I was.
I have a great disdain for many things—public education, taxation, the two-party system—but today I think we need to focus on the positive aspects of this great and wonderful country that is hated but a growing number of people both in and out of our borders.
This is a country, and still the only one, that was founded based on principles and not geography or religion. And yes, there is a huge difference between principles and religion, but we will discuss that in another blog. The basis of this country, that is the impetus for its creation, is the Declaration of Independence. While not a legally binding document in this country, it is what separated us from England and began the war that changed the world in a fundamental way.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

(Man, I did that straight from memory—Schoolhouse Rocks pays off! Though I must give an assist to Wikipedia for aiding me with the proper punctuation.)
How important are these words? Is there a more important document in the history of the world? The faults in the document are many. Life, liberty and private property was first conceived by John Locke in his Second Treatise on Government, and Thomas Jefferson changed it. There is no mention of the aberration of slavery in an effort to maintain the unity of the South, though this brief reconciliation would almost destroy this country 90 years later. The many references to a "Creator" would allow for others to inject Christianity into the framework of this country, even though Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, the primary composers of the Declaration, were not Christians. In fact both challenged the divinity of Christ, something that many Republicans would shudder to think of. Or, for that matter, many Democrats.
But the idea that people like Jefferson and James Madison(the principle architect of the U.S. Constitution) could put together these simple words that have so great an impact on us over 200 years later, is miraculous. These words still mean something, and that is what is great about America. Words made the difference when Abraham Lincoln stood up and gave the Gettysburg Address. Words made the difference when FDR spoke about fear. Words made the difference for Kennedy when he spoke of the moon shot, when Dr. King spoke of dreams, and when Mr. Reagan spoke to Mr. Gorbachev about a wall.
Quickly, we are transforming ourselves into a society where images mean more than words. If you don't believe me, go count the number of hits on that stupid new anti-Hillary/pro-Obama ad on YouTube. I will attempt to post images that have only substance on this blog. As an example of what these look like, go here.
Until we meet again, take these words to heart and go say a few of your own.

No comments: